Aaron, FAVORITE PR “STUNTS”?, great question to ask to start 2018, but why limit it to 2017? My work today is more as a Strategist / Senior Counselor / Crisis Manager, so I have less opportunity for such things. But they were a cornerstone of my career as a young PR guy at the DuPont Co in the late 1970s to 1990, before I went on to become PRSA’s elected National President / Board Chair in 1999, so let me recap / highlight a handful. I’d be happy to talk off-line about any of them
(1) HUMAN-POWERED FLIGHT OF THE GOSSAMER ODESSEY ACROSS THE ENGLISH CHANNEL, 1979 June ~
Created a DuPont Co sponsorship for historic first (and only) human-powered flight across the English Channel, Jan 1979, in a Mylar-wrapped heavier than air craft;
(2) MYLAR POLYESTER FILM FEATURED IN SUPER BOWL XIV HALF-TIME SHOW, 1980 Jan ~
Worked with the NFL in the best-attended in history Super Bowl XIV to feature DuPont Co Mylar in its half-time show featuring Up With People, generating a Super Bowl Monday New York Times press coverage in a column by Red Smith, America’s best known sports writer of the 2nd half of the 20th Century
(3) TOUR DU PONT INTERNATIONAL CYCLING STAGE RACE, 1990-1996 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWgYAB7Hn2A &
Salvaged from the Tour de Trump (upon its failure) and created / launched the Tour DuPont International Cycling Stage Race that ran several years, generating global coverage
(4) DU PONT STREN FISH LINE “FAVORITE FISHING STORY” CONTEST, 1982 SPRING; and
In 1982, with no new products / features to announce, created a national news-generation “Favorite Fishing Story Contest” that attracted reams of coverage and hundreds of entries, with judging at the 1982 Knoxville World’s Fair;
(5) DU PONT STREN NATIONAL RADIO SHOW, WITH BILL DANCE & ROLAND MARTIN, 1982-84.
Leveraged a program of “fishing actualities” distributed to radio stations into a branded radio show for (mostly) C&W and Southern radio stations, with donut holes for local ad sales to add value.